- F5 NGINX Management Suite 1.0 is a unified solution The traffic management and security solution aims to simplify the management of NGINX fleets.
- NGINX Management Suite is the successor to NGINX Controller, released in 2017, but the company later decided to change its approach.
- NGINX’s new solution is a suite of modules built on a common platform that is easy to deployable to adapt to future use cases.
NGINX announced the release of F5 NGINX Management Suite 1.0. The unified traffic management and security solution aims to simplify the management of NGINX fleets. It is a centralized management dashboard that provides holistic visibility and control of NGINX instances, application delivery services, APIs management workflows and security solutions.
Four key areas
NGINX also stated that NGINX Management Suite is the successor to NGINX Controller, released in 2017. In 2021, the company decided to re-architect NGINX Controller as linux-native experience but decided its architecture was not right for functionality. After rethinking its approach, the company decided to create a suite of modules built on a common platform that was easy to deploy, able to adapt to future use cases and support challenging customer environments.
NGINX’s new solution aims to streamline and simplify user activities in four key areas:
- Ladder: Intelligently scale NGINX instances and services with global policy controls using CI/CD automation to drive workflows, service configuration and provisioning, and multicloud management
- Insight: Improve business decisions, troubleshooting, and SLAs with uniform visibility into your NGINX instances, applications, APIs, and security posture
- Governance : Provide every team supporting your apps and APIs with self-service workflows, single sign-on (SSO), and role-based access control (RBAC), while ensuring they stay compliant organizational and industry standards
- Security: Get the robust security your business needs with tools that enable complete visibility and policy control across your entire NGINX environment
The Instance Manager module was initially released in 2021 as a standalone product. It allows users to identify, secure, manage and monitor all NGINX Open Source and NGINX Plus instances. Instance Manager simplifies configuration and maintenance of the NGINX fleet while operating in the control plane. It allows IT teams to easily monitor instances while DevOps teams can update configurations and certificates through a shared interface. It allows users to:
- Discover configuration issues and get suggested fixes
- Update expiring certificates and find out if NGINX versions are potentially exposed to CVEs
- Specify the people and teams authorized to access NGINX configurations
- Find out if NGINX App Protect WAF is installed on your NGINX instances and see which versions and signature packages have been applied
API Connectivity Manager
The API Connectivity Manager module allows users to connect, govern and secure their APIs. It complements both traditional and microservices architectures, aligns with DevOps practices, and supports high-performance APIs. With this module, users can easily address key API-focused use cases, including:
- Accelerate time to market with automated tools that simplify API deployment, configuration, and management with optimal security and performance
- Enable internal and external developers to quickly discover, integrate, and use APIs in their projects with consistent documentation and versioning
- Provide uniform and consistent monitoring of platform environments, certificates, and configurations from a single screen
NGINX also said it is focused on developing future modules and capabilities. Two of them are:
- Application and API Security: NGINX Management Suite will enable organizations to use NGINX App Protect WAF to protect applications and APIs with features such as troubleshooting, insights, policy management, event monitoring, and more.
- Load balancing: The App Delivery Manager module will configure, secure, monitor and troubleshoot NGINX Plus as load balancer for your applications.